Saturday, March 12, 2011

Miriam Sweeney: Subversion

Subversion by Miriam Sweeney
I stumbled upon this amazing photograph when I was on the Internet. I instantly fell in love with the excitement and beauty of this photograph.
To me, this photograph captured the exact moment when the horse is entering a different dimension. This kind of reminds me of a fantasy moment when one crosses from reality to the dream world.
The title of this work is Subversion, which led me into thinking that the horse brings destructive upon a peaceful world. Once the horse crosses into a different dimension, destruction will dawn upon the world. Since the background is of pure white and the horse is black, the horse might act as a symbol for destruction. In this photograph, Sweeney stopped time and captured the horse's movement, showcasing moment before destruction happens. I really like how the black and white contrast with each other to emphasize the horse. The shadows give out the vague form of the horse, foreshadowing that destruction is near.

No comments:

Post a Comment