Friday, March 4, 2011

Deco Den


Above is a picture of a deco den DS case. "Deco" means decoration, and "den" comes from an abriviation Japenese word that means phone. At first, the Japanese started to decorate their cell phones with charms and rhinestones. Later, this idea was popular enough to escalate into more than just cell phones. People do 'deco-den' to their jewelery boxes, mirrors and like the photo above, DS cases.
When I first looked at the photo, my first thought was: Wouldn't it be troublesome when you actually play the DS?
With all the ice cream charms and biscuits sticking out, it would surely affect the gaming process. People are well aware of that, but they still insist on decorating their DS cases like the one in the photo above. My teacher once told me that girls typically like aesthetically beautiful, but useless objects. Even though it is a stereotypical thing to say, I do agree with her to some extend. Like myself, I have a turtle wallet, stuffed animals on my bed and a whole box full of bead-charms. I can buy a normal looking wallet, but I chose to buy a turtle one that cost more. The stuffed animals and bead-charms are totally useless, but I have them because they look "cute".
I am fascinated by why girls usually like aesthetically beautiful, yet useless objects. Even though I am the same, though not as extreme as some girls, I still can't quite understand why I buy the things I do.

Picture from: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=301760735882&set=a.301756500882.197968.72429330882

No comments:

Post a Comment