Saturday, April 9, 2011

Freeter, Ie o Kau

This drama, Freeter, Ie o Kau, was broadcast from October of 2010 to Decemeber of 2010. This is the live action adaptation of the book, Freeter, Ie o Kau, by Arikawa Hiro.

This drama talks about the life of Take Seiji, who quits his job after three months because of his manager`s biased-attitude. After quitting his job, he cannot find himself another job because his job reputation was ruined. His father is cold towards him, calling him useless and pathetic because he cannot endure the reality of life. With no job, no money and no dream, Seiji becomes an unenthusiastic freeter. A freeter is a term in Japan that means `part-timer`. Just when Seiji was about to give up on life, his mother falls into depression due to the neighbour`s constant bullying. He then was reminded of his mother`s kindness and love even when he was giving up on everything, thus motivated him to buy a house so his mother will no longer suffer the harsh behaviors committed by their neighbours. Even if he is just a freeter, he wants to be able to buy a house with his own abilities for the sake of his family. Not only does this drama focusses on Seiji`s life, it also outlines the problems of everyday housewives and the dreams of teenagers.

I quite like this drama, because it is real. It touches on the reality of life, and the cruel parts of society. This drama does not sugar coat anything, which is something I prefer because I can learn from it. I can relate back to the main character, Seiji, because I too, am a person who gives up easily and is often unmotivated. Seiji found the motivation through the most important person to him in the world, his mother. I find this precious because it is very hard to discover someone, or something that keeps you going no matter how bad the circumstances are. Like Seiji in the beginning of the drama, I am lost as well. I do wish to find something or someone to motivate me soon.

There isn`t a striking climax to this drama, but the plot and emotions will keep you watching. I guess it is the reality factor in it that everyone can relate to that makes this drama interesting. It is the ordinariness that attracts people, and it is very touching. This drama is one of my favourite, and one of the best dramas I`ve watched.

No comments:

Post a Comment