Friday, April 22, 2011

Going West

Going West is a stop motion animation that focuses on book-paper craft done by the Anderson M Studio.

The idea behind this animation is 'When books come to life'. I think this concept was really well adapted into the animation. Every words of a book tells a story, and every story creates a mental image in one's head. This animation perfectly portrays that concept by slowly building up every detail of the book as the narrator's words continued. The details and structures of every second in this animation tells me how much effort and time were put into this video. The animation shows that words on a two dimensional piece of paper can create wonders through imagination.
Lately, I have been interested in paper crafts, so I was immediately drawn into this video when I stumbled across it today.
I think what worked the most for me in this animation, is the shadows. The shadows created depth and solidified the three dimensional objects. It made everything seem more real and tangible. Also, the way it was filmed made the animation effective. For example, between 1:36 - 1:46, the shadows casting under the structures moved according to the narrator's words, and the screen zoomed in according to the beat and tone of the voice as well. I think that was really well done because it pulls the watcher's attention and creates the mood in the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment