Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Peter Dahmen: Pop-Up Paper Sculpture

In this video, Peter Dahmen showcased six different pop-up paper sculptures.
I have always been fond and interested in origami and paper art, therefore I was instantly astonished when I found this video. I was amazed by how a simple piece of paper can be made into something so detailed. The distortion of paper made by cutting and folding, turns smooth, textureless papers into  something three dimensional. As seen in the video, textures can be made depending on the fold of paper, creating different effects and depth. The shadows in between each fold also creates negative spaces that help define the structure. I actually followed a tutorial and made a pop-up paper sculpture, like the second last structure shown in the video. It was a simple one, therefore it wasn`t hard to follow.
What amazed me was that I was able to create a structure that seems very complicated out of a simple, flat sheet of paper. This made me realize that some of the greatest inventions are made or originate from the simplest things that people often neglect. It encouraged me to create.
Furthermore, the finished creation of this pop-up paper sculpture looks nothing out of the ordinary when I closed it in half. It just looks like a normal folded piece of paper, and you would probably think nothing of it. If you do pass it by, you would miss something amazing inside the folded piece of paper. Beauty is often left undiscovered because people don`t bother looking underneath an uninteresting surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment